Friday 22 February 2013

Measuring the perfect amount of Sodastream syrup

One of the shortcomings of the Sodastream system is consistently measuring the amount of syrup to use to get your drink to taste right. I’ve had several people tell me that the flavor from the sample pack was great, but when they bought a bottle of syrup it just didn’t taste as good.  The problem, I worked out, was they used too much syrup.  If you look at one of the sample packs it says it contains 42ml of syrup.  A bottle of Sodastream flavor syrup contains 500ml and makes 12 liters of soda.  A bit of basic math, 500/12 = 41.67ml of syrup to make one liter of soda.  Of course, you can tweak it up or down if you like, but this is the recommended amount of syrup to achieve the flavor Sodastream intended.

The instructions provided on the bottles of syrup and in the manuals is vague to say the least.  The bottles simply say ‘fill measuring cap with concentrate’, but they don’t tell you how much.  That is where the problem arises.  I’ve found many new Sodastreamers interpret this to mean fill the cap to the top.  That is way too much syrup and as a result you get a drink that is too strong and can taste quite bad and definitely far from their equivalent brand-name taste.  What Sodastream’s instructions neglect to tell you is that there are measuring lines in the caps.  They can be hard to spot, especially on the dark colored caps, but if you run your finger along the inside of the cap you will feel them.  


On the outside of the cap you can see the lines embossed with words stating .25 Liter, .5 Liter, and 1 Liter.  If you fill it to the 1Ltr line, it will be exactly 42ml of syrup.  You can use the other lines to make the 500ml bottles, or mix different syrups together but still get the right amount.



10 comments:

  1. I love Soda Stream, Happy Customer -- EXCEPT! -- You are right, they are not clear about measuring. It seems (from videos) that if you buy a High-End model it comes with a concentrate delivery device, however this cannot be purchased (to my googling) separately. The use of the Cap is problematic on the grounds that you state, however I find the most infuriating aspect is the cap "moat" which can inadvertently fill with concentrate and also makes "aiming" your pour very clumsy -- and I often spill concentrate on my counter! I've found that one of the "Airplane" Mini-Bottles of Liquor holds exactly one Cap of Concentrate (little less could be marked as per your 42ml target) and it Pours Without The Mess!

    Very much worth the time to use a funnel and pre-pour some number of these ahead of time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The design of the cap definitely has problems. I have come across another solution for measuring out syrup without the mess. Nifty Home Products sells a pump that screws onto the top of the Sodastream syrup bottles. They say you use 6 pumps for 1 Liter, 3 pumps for 500ml. I bought 3 of these and it does work, as long as it's primed first. I tested the measurement by pumping 6 squirts into the measuring cap. It was exactly to the 1 Ltr fill line. I bought mine from Shopko, but Bed Bath and Beyond also sells them. At $2.99, they're worth a try. (http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/product.asp?SKU=41260050).

      Delete
  2. Excellent tips! I saw the lines inside of the lids but did not have a reference to match them against. I drink the "RedBull" like energy drink. So I was extra nervous about adding too much caffeine. Thanks for the leads and info.

    ReplyDelete
  3. http://www.amazon.com/Nifty-SP1-6-Soda-Stream-Syrup/dp/B00BTI9Z8A

    http://youtu.be/TtNFTANMxl0

    ReplyDelete
  4. One of the shortcomings of the Sodastream system is consistently measuring the amount of syrup to use to get your drink to taste right. I've had ... ssodastreamer.blogspot.de

    ReplyDelete
  5. One of the shortcomings of the Sodastream system is consistently measuring the amount of syrup to use to get your drink to taste right. I've had ... esodastreamer.blogspot.de

    ReplyDelete
  6. I only drink gingerbeer or cola and I use the line at the very bottom of the cap for gingerbeer and the next line above for cola.

    ReplyDelete
  7. So glad I found this. I found a Sodastream at a secondhand shop last week, and have been experimenting this whole time with measuring the syrups. Never noticed the lines. Also glad to see good feedback for the pump by Nifty. Saw one at Target on the Sodastream display, but was hesitant to buy one without any kind of input.

    ReplyDelete
  8. WOW , You would think the cola company's want you to have the
    best possible experience & enjoy your choice ..
    But, they dropped the ball !! I Have A much older system from late 80's. Problem there was he syrup. only Sams club sold them.
    And how do you save, when you have to pay for membership ?
    Oh, Syrup came in gallon jugs & there was A pump bottle.
    Was Awesome & tasted as saypose to. Just get water from fridge ( filtered & chilled from door ) Pour in top of unit ( OZ. ?? )
    press co2. out come carbonated water add X pumps to glass & MIX, ICE .... DRINK .. ENJOY ..
    Almost like brewing your own beer just quicker .
    Billion dollar money maker & they can't tell us how to make
    he best cup ? I guess It's top secret ..

    ReplyDelete
  9. Glad I stumbled on this. I didn't notice the lines on the lid. The problem I now have is that I have the glass model which is 620ml and the marks on the lids don't acknowledge this volume. So, I'm guessing a little over the 500ml line.

    ReplyDelete